Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Bayou Born by Hailey Edwards [Review]

Bayou Born by Hailey Edwards
Bayou Born (The Foundling #1) by Hailey Edwards
Format: ebook
Source: provided through NetGalley
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 19, 2017

The Foundling
1. Bayou Born - Kindle
2. Bone Driven
3. Death Knell
4. Rise Against
5. End Game

Hailey Edwards
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Her beginning may be our end...

Deep in the humid swamps of the Mississippi bayou, a mysterious, half-wild child is dragged just in time from the murky waters. She has no memories, no family and is covered in strange markings, the meaning of which no one is able to decipher. Adopted by the policeman who rescued her, Luce Boudrou follows him into the force, determined to prove herself in the eyes of those who are still suspicious.

However, there's more of a battle ahead than Luce could possibly imagine. She may be an orphan without a past, but no one - including Luce herself - could ever be prepared for the truth of her dark, powerful destiny...
Thoughts on Bayou Born: Holy wow, this was fun. Not only is the world-building top notch (just so you know, I say that often about HE's books because she's a FANTASTIC world-builder), but the revelations of who Luce is and how she ended up in the swamp as a child made me positively giddy. GIDDY. Like, I can't stop thinking about how things are going to play out because there's a whole lot of crazy going on here and Luce's life has taken a turn she couldn't have expected.

There's so much I want to discuss, but I feel like anything I mention will ruin the surprises. So I'm going to go with some intentionally vague things... I've always been a sucker for a big, growly guy who just can't keep his nose out of people's business. The mystery behind Cole's past and his dedication to the cause are things I'm looking forward to uncovering. The rest of the crew is equally intriguing. In a different way, of course, but I like the group dynamic. I like that there's still a lot we don't know about them.

As for Luce, sometimes the truth can be a good thing and sometimes it can completely turn your life upside down. I think knowledge is strength in this case because once she's aware, she can guard against those trying to come against her. Still, WOW. I can't imagine she saw this particular truth coming no matter how far she pushed her imagination.

Fantastic characters, fantastic world-building, and some truly terrible bad guys. I seriously can't wait to see where the next book will take us.

No comments:

Post a Comment